Thursday, November 30, 2017

TIGER MOTH TALES: The Depths of winter (2017). Something like a review...

 Tiger MothTales is the personal project of the English singer, composer and multi-instrumentalist Peter Jones. The Depths of Winter is his 3rd release, that comes after Cocoon (2014) and Story Tellers Part.1 (2015).
  Some time ago, I wrote a piece about Story Tellers Pt.1, which I believe it was a really wonderful album. In case you are interested, you can find it here: http://gfreedomathina.blogspot.gr/search?q=tiger+moth+tales
  When I heard about his new work I felt really excited, and I couldn’t wait to listen to the new material. And when I finally got it, I was a little bit surprised by the overall style of the album, because it is more “serious” and more melancholic than the previous 2 albums. For that reason, I had to listen to it a few times in order to feel familiar with it. Especially in comparison with Story Tellers, a fun and rather happy album, the difference in the major style and sound is more than obvious.
  If I had to compare this album with his 2 previous ones, I would say that I would place it over Cocoon, and below Story Tellers. It includes some wonderful melodies, like for example Winter Maker; which I can’t stop listening to, or Hygge, with the strong Genesis influences. Another song that I have to point out is The Ballad of Longshanks John.
  There are 3 long (over 10 minutes) songs included here, all of them very interesting ones; Winter Maker, Exposure and The Tears of Frigga. But as I wrote above, Winter Maker is the best of them by far.
  Another very interesting point is that, despite that Tiger Moth Tales is an one-man-band, the sound is very rich, and not depending on keyboards like many other one-man-bands and projects. If you don’t know that, it's not possible to guess that every instrument here is played by only one person. And for that, it gains lots of points from me.
  I can’t say that I’m perfectly pleased or disappointed by that album, simply because I was expecting something very different. Well, maybe I’ll have to wait for Story Tellers Pt.2 for that.
But the truth is that, The Depths of Winter is a very serious and well-made piece of work. 
    And for those reasons I will rate it with 3.5 (out of 5.0) stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment